You’re getting married and you’re ready to have all your besties standing up beside you during the wedding! Whether you have 2 bridesmaids or 10, we hope they’ll all be super excited to take on that role. After the initial excitement calms down a bit, some might start to wonder just what exactly their role will be during the wedding or planning process.
Every bride is a little different and might have different expectations (that you’ll need to communicate clearly!), but the list below covers some of the most common bridesmaid duties that can be reasonably anticipated.
CHECKLIST: WHAT BRIDESMAIDS SHOULD DO FOR THE BRIDE
- Be a sounding board for ideas
- Help with some planning or DIY tasks
- Attend dress shopping
- Plan and attend bridal shower
- Plan and attend bachelorette party
- Buy your own bridesmaid dress and shoes
- Accept the choice of bridesmaid dress without complaint
- Pay for transportation to and hotel during the wedding
- Attend the wedding rehearsal and dinner
- Help the bride get dressed on wedding day
- Bustle the bride’s dress after the ceremony
- Walk in the ceremony processional and recessional
- Be on the dance floor
- Attend any after-wedding brunch
- Show up to wedding events on time
- Understand the time and financial commitment before saying yes
- Have a positive attitude and be team player
Being a bridesmaid is an honor that a bride gives to her closest friends, and your time together during the wedding will help make memories to last a lifetime! Bridesmaids should be there to support the bride as they would hope she would do the same for them for their wedding too!
Next, read our Checklist of Top Groomsmen Duties.
48 Fields Farm is a Leesburg Virginia barn wedding venue for celebrations of all sizes.
Our countryside barn and open fields are peacefully set in the heart of Northern Virginia wine country.