They say that your wedding day goes by in an instant, so why not consider a whole wedding weekend itinerary? Whether you want to enjoy several days of activities with your guests or just provide inspiration for those traveling from out of town, there is so much in the Northern Virginia area around 48 Fields to entertain guests of all ages and interests!
Please check the websites of each destination before planning your visit to ensure it will be open when you arrive. Many local landmarks have practiced temporary closures in response to COVID-19.
TAKE IN A LOCAL MUSEUM
When it comes to museums, the D.C. area abounds with options! In addition to the many fantastic Smithsonian museums located in downtown D.C., here are a few of the area’s most unique spots for your guests to dig into history:
- The Udvar-Hazy Center houses an impressive collection of aircraft in its sprawling hangars. An extension of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, it is located near the Dulles International Airport in Northern Virginia, about 30 minutes from 48 Fields.
- The International Spy Museum in downtown D.C. is a fun and engaging exploration of the history of espionage. Every guest gets an “undercover mission” to complete while you check out spy gadgets, try your hand at code-cracking, and more. Located about 1 hour from 48 Fields.
A Northern Virginia wedding weekend itinerary wouldn’t be complete without some outdoor exploration! Here are our favorite places to get outdoors in the area:
- Manassas National Battlefield Park covers more than 5,100 acres of land, about 45 minutes south of 48 Fields. With guided tours, horseback riding, and more than 40 miles of hiking trails, this park isn’t just for history buffs.
- Skyline Drive is a scenic roadway that’s not to be missed. The total length of 105 miles is lined with stunning views and hiking trails. The north entrance is located in Front Royal, about 90 minutes from 48 Fields.
- Harper’s Ferry National Park, located just 30 minutes from 48 Fields on the border with West Virginia, offers a mix of history, hiking, and cute small-town exploration.
- Take to the Water: Rent a paddleboard or kayak to cruise down the Potomac River, or a paddle boat to take in monument views on the National Mall’s Tidal Basin.
- Play the Links: If hiking and paddleboarding aren’t your speed, play a round of golf in the shadow of the monuments at Hains Point or just swing for practice at our local Top Golf.
TRY SOMETHING NEW
Nothing brings wedding guests together like an unconventional activity! Here are our favorite unique activities to enjoy in the D.C. area:
- Enjoy a Polo Match: If your wedding is in the summer or early fall, your guests may be able to catch a match at Morven Park or The Plains.
- Try Your Hand at Axe Throwing: Get a little friendly competition going at Axes and Os in Sterling, 30 minutes from 48 Fields.
- Taste the Local Spirits: Northern Virginia has an incredible variety of local wineries, breweries, cideries, and distilleries for your guests to explore!
DO SOME SHOPPING
From high-end retail to local boutiques, these two spots offer a great selection for guests who love to shop:
- Leesburg Outlets is an outdoor outlet mall perfect for your most fashion-minded guests, conveniently located just 20 minutes from 48 Fields.
- Middleburg’s Historic District is less than a mile long, but it’s full of one-of-a-kind boutiques, specialty shops, and art galleries. Located about 40 minutes from 48 Fields, Middleburg is a quaint spot for your guests to wander.
ENTERTAIN THE KIDS
Northern Virginia has so many kid-friendly attractions to choose from! Here are some of our top picks to add to your wedding weekend itinerary:
- The National Zoo in Washington, D.C., can’t be beat when it comes to fun for all ages. We’re particularly fond of our pandas, but the zoo hosts animals of all kinds! It takes about an hour to get to the zoo from 48 Fields.
- Cox Farms in Centreville, Virginia, is best known for its fall festival complete with hayrides, a corn maze, and giant slides. They also have an attraction called “foamhenge” that you have to see to believe. Cox Farms is located approximately 40 minutes from 48 Fields.
- Leesburg Animal Park is perfect for families who want to see animals without driving into the city. Kids can pet and feed some of their favorite animals and even enjoy a pony ride. Leesburg Animal Park is located about 30 minutes from 48 Fields.
- Temple Hall Farm Regional Park is a working farm where your guests can experience farm life, interact with animals, and learn about native plants and animals. The park is located just 10 minutes from 48 Fields.
ENJOY THE NIGHTLIFE
Here are our favorite spots in Loudoun County to enjoy a night out on the town:
- Downtown Leesburg has a great selection of bars and restaurants, including the occasional pop-up bar – a unique experience your guests won’t want to miss! 48 Fields is located just 15 minutes from downtown Leesburg.
- One Loudoun is a shopping and dining hub where your guests can find a cozy pub, craft beer haven, or trendy gastrobar for a night out on the town, just 25 minutes from 48 Fields.
Your guests will be blown away with all there is to do in the area! Make your wedding weekend itinerary one they’ll talk about for years to come!
48 Fields Farm is a Leesburg VA barn wedding venue for celebrations of all sizes.
Our countryside barn and vast fields are peacefully set in the heart of Northern Virginia wine country.